How do I find industry or company ratios?
To find industry ratios, it's important to find the appropriate NAICS code for your industry.
- The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), according to the U.S. Census Bureau, "is the standard used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy."
- To find the NAICS code for your industry or company, try using the NAICS Search Tool, or search any of the library databases suggested below for ratio research.
These library databases include various types of financial ratios:
- Business Insights: Global
- First Research
- LexisNexis Company Dossiers
Yahoo! Finance is a free online source for ratios:
- For industries, select Industries under the Investing menu, pick your industry on the left, then look at the Industry Statistics section.
- For companies, enter a ticker symbol in the search box, choose your company, then click on Key Statistics on the left.
To learn more about ratios, try Investopedia's Financial Ratio Tutorial.
Don't forget you can always ask a librarian for help!